Wednesday, June 2, 2010

It's officially Summer...

Thank GOODNESS!

I thought Winter was never going to end...and Spring?  What Spring?  It was almost as though my favorite season was skipped.  I mean come on, snow in May?  When was the last time that happened?

So now it's summer...officially.  We're still in the 60's in regards to temperature but I'll take it!

Summer means outdoors so the Hubs and I were looking at our backyard.

It's rather embarrasing.

Our lawn mower is broken so we haven't mowed it yet.  Our front yard is mowed only because we have the most wonderful neighbors EV.ER and they take care of us.  Bet you all wish you lived where I live now huh?  :)

But the grass in our backyard is about 1' 6" tall.  Pretty embarrassing.

We went out the other night and started to plan it all out.  What would make our yard better.  There really is a reason we've just neglected it...and that is that we will have to start all over with it.  Just like everything else with the house.

The ground is terribly bumpy, those durned earth worms have done their worst.  The Princess can't play back there because of how uneven it is.  She's constantly tripping.  So we've decided to just completely till it under.  I traded some Senior Pictures to a boy in our neighborhood in exchange for him to come over and till it and level it all out.  As soon as that is done...we get to fix our sprinkler system (WA-HOO!!!) and then lay down some sod for the back.

Just a pure yard though...wasn't doing it for me.  I decided I need a place to sit back there.  I need a place to chill and watch the Princess have fun.  I need a patio.  I need this...


A pergola.  Someplace I can sit and read a book while the Princess is chasing butterflys...or the many stray cats in the area.

We planned it out.  We measured.  We consisdered cost (since cost is crucial at this point).  We mulled.  We stewed.  We watched DIY videos.  We decided yes...we can do this.  I might or might not have done a happy dance.

So here's the plan.
pergolaFashion Trends & Styles - Polyvore

Brick patio.  Pergola.  Building some outdoor furniture via Knock-Off Wood.com.  Green and Navy accents.  Some fun lighting.  Maybe a couple igloo chairs from CB2 around the perimeter...

The fun part?  A lot of it is going to be done via trade.  Suh-weet!

So what do you think?  What are your outdoor summer plans?

No comments: